Please note that due to the pandemic currently being allowed to run out of control, many pubs are having to close temporarily or restrict their trading hours due to staff sickness or self-isolation. Please check with the pubs if you plan to travel any distance.

Elmswell Lion

Elmswell Lion

also traded as Red Lion, Swan

West, 52.2388,0.91472

closed 1934

opened 1722 or earlier - possibly 1619

Station Rd

grid reference TL 991 640

It's shown (though not named) on this old OS map from about the end of the 19th century. interactive map

old OS map

The Lion was an inn and posting house; the building is now residential and called the Beeches.

According to the Elmswell History Group, it was known as the Swan Inn until about 1770.





Historical interest

Historical interest




(Most pub, location & historic details collated by Nigel, Tony or Keith - original sources are credited)

(1891 census information from Dudley Diaper)

(1861 census information from Malcolm Fairley)

(** historic newspaper information from Stuart Ansell)

(*** historic newspaper information from Bob Mitchell)

Old OS map reproduced with the permission of the National Library of Scotland.