grid reference TL 853 642Something we've got wrong about this establishment? Something more you think we should know about it? Please email us
listed building grade II
CAMRA West Suffolk & Borders branch.
last updated 21/01/2020
Bury St Edmunds Half Moonhistorical closure era: mid 20th century
In the early 19th century it traded as a Posting & Commercial Inn.
The inn itself was actually on High Baxter St, in the wing of the building perpendicular to the roads. The small frontage onto the Buttermarket was the building now occupied by Argos.
A cinema was built in 1930s possibly in one wing of the old inn and later a bar was created to the rear of the cinema, called the Playhouse bar before finally closing in 1970s.
It's shown on this OS town plan of 1855.
(Most pub, location & historic details collated by Nigel, Tony or Keith - original sources are credited)
(1861 census information from Malcolm Fairley)
(** historic newspaper information from Stuart Ansell)
(*** historic newspaper information from Bob Mitchell)