also traded as Cardinal's Head
Closed between 1920 and 1970
last owner/operator: Tolly Cobbold
18 Wolsey St
grid reference TM 160 441
The Zulu was originally only licensed as a beerhouse; the Ipswich licensing records show that the Zulu got its full license on February 29th 1960.
Since closure it's been demolished.
Mrs E Wright (pictured in gallery) was the last landlady and also was landlady here for over 50 years. She also had 6 children, 4 of whom were girls who later also ran Ipswich pubs, an extraordinary family achievement.
Ivy (and husband Archie) ran the Mountain Ash
Ruby (and husband Bill) ran the Water Lily
Winnie (and husband Buster) ran the Railway Tavern.
Daphnie (and husband Hubie) ran the Trafalgar
(their other two children were Violet & Sammy)
Mary Atthowe (nee Girling) was running the Tavern in 1881 after her husband, Ambrose died. She was about 57 at the time and had a female servant living there with her…
(Most pub, location & historic details collated by Nigel, Tony or Keith - original sources are credited)
(detailed information from Jean Richardson)
Closure date from Ipswich licensing records.