Although the government has now allowed pubs to reopen, many are still unable to do so safely, while most if not all are only able to accommodate limited numbers of customers. Many of them are still reliant on providing takeaway food and/or drinks. Some offer deliveries, while others are selling from the premises. This page lists details of those we know about.
If you can give any of our pubs some support through these difficult times by buying some takeaway food or drink, please do so. Our pubs need as much support as possible if they're going to still be there for us when the crisis is over.
Closed between 1958 and 1978?
grid reference TL 859 546
The Harrow was an imposing brick built 17th century pub with a substantial brick & flint Victorian extension.
It's shown on the 1958 OS map as "Harrow Inn (PH)", by the 1978 sheet it's just shown as "The Harrow", suggesting it had closed by then.
The pub can be seen on this old OS map from about the end of the 19th century. interactive map
George Cant and Elizabeth Bainbridge both lodged at the Harrow. On the 20th January 1851 Elizabeth left the Harrow followed shortly afterwards by Cant. A little later Cant returned wet and dirty and stated "the halter is for my neck" Elizabeth was found forcibly drowned in a nearby pond. Cant was tried and found guilty and sentenced to death.Ipswich Journal, April 5th 1851** (when William Payne was the landlord)
Lawshall. Messrs Biddell offered for sale on Wednesday evening the well known hostelry known as the Harrow Inn together with a lucrative baking business. It passed into the hands of Messrs Mauldon of Sudbury for £760.Bury Free Press, September 5th 1891***
(Most pub, location & historic details collated by Nigel, Tony or Keith - original sources are credited)
(Some old PO directory information courtesy of londonpublichouse.com)
(** historic newspaper information from Stuart Ansell)
(*** report reproduced with kind permission from Foxearth & District Local History Society)
Old OS map reproduced with the permission of the National Library of Scotland.