North West, 52.18201,0.91937
closed May 2020
opened about 1872
Mill Ln, IP14 3DW
grid reference TL 996 577
The Crown is shown on this old OS map from about 1903 (interactive map)
Set close to a disused tower mill, with fine views over open countryside. Various old tools decorate the main lounge/dining area. The public bar is a smaller separate room.
The pub had reopened after lockdown, but has had to close again. A note on the door (May 2021) says "Dear customers. After taking Fiona's heart condition into account we have not made plans to reopen the business yet".
The sign was still in situ when the pub was visited in June 2023, however changes to the premises suggest perhaps it may not reopen?
A former Greene King pub, now free.
Originally only licensed as a beerhouse, the Crown only got a full license on January 3rd, 1962, according to the Stow licensing records.
Owner/operator: Greene King
Sat behind an old windmill tower, with fine views over the open countryside. Interesting old, rural tools in the bar. Good home cooked food - not Sun. eve.
Beer: Greene King XX Mild, IPA, Abbot.CAMRA's 1997 Suffolk Real Ale Guide
The crown is a simple sign to show loyalty to the reigning monarch and apart from the commonwealth era (1648-60) has been a pub sign for over 600 years.
(Most pub, location & historic details collated by Nigel, Tony or Keith - original sources are credited)
(1891 census information from Dudley Diaper)
Old OS map reproduced with the permission of the National Library of Scotland.