CAMRA Ipswich & East Suffolk branch.last updated 30/12/2019
Ipswich Lyceum Tavern
also traded as as: Shamrock, Race Horsehistorical closure era: Victorian / Edwardian
closed June 19th, 1909
64 Carr St
This pub was open from at least 1881 as the Race Horse, it was called the Shamrock by 1891, and the Lyceum Tavern by 1901. It was not shown as a pub in earlier censuses.
It evidently stood between the Salutation and Major's Corner; the Borough Police licensed premises register shows that a bobby on beat number 2 would walk past the Beehive, the Red Lion, the Lyceum Tavern and the Salutation.
The closure date is recorded in the Borough Police licensed premises register 1903-1923.
(Most pub, location & historic details collated by Nigel, Tony or Keith - original sources are credited)
Closure date from Borough Police records.