Closed between 1840 and 1920
1 Chapel St
grid reference TL 992 494
The Bull was listed as a commercial hotel and excise office in 1840.
It's listed in the Market Place in the 1841 & 1851 censuses.
The correct building has been confirmed from an 1850 postcard pictured in the EADT in 2015.
The Post Office was here in 1855.
To be sold by private contract a freehold messuage and Inn called the Bull, in Bildeston, with good stabling, brewhouse, yards, and appurtenances, in the occupation of Joseph Grimwood, tenant at will. Also, a cottage or tenement adjoining, in the occupation of Vince, a glover.Ipswich Journal, December 1815**
NOTE: A messuage equates to a dwelling-house and may include outbuildings, orchard, curtilage or court-yard and garden - this may have been an earlier structure to the current property.…
(Most pub, location & historic details collated by Nigel, Tony or Keith - original sources are credited)
(** historic newspaper information from Stuart Ansell)
(*** historic newspaper information from Bob Mitchell)