Crown Hill, The St
grid reference TM 048 759
The Crown was a commercial inn and posting house, known to date back at least to 1782 when it was mentioned in an advertisement in the Norfolk Chronicle.
The cottage immediately to the left of this building appears separately in the Listed Buildings Register as "Crown Hill Cottage [...] formerly part of a coaching inn", so was evidently once part of this building.
Having examined the Hartismere licensing records from 1923 to 1962 and found no trace of this pub, we conclude it must have closed before 1923.
A reference to the late Richard Stebbings and his Widow, Mary Stebbings who was administering his estate at the Crown Inn at Botesdale appears in the Ipswich Journal, June 25th 1774***.
The chief inn is the Crown.Universal British Directory 1791
William Nunn, (from the Castle Inn, Bury St. Edmund's), respectively informs his friends and public in general, that he has taken the Crown Inn, Botesdale, and laid in stock of the best wines and spirituous liquors, and that he has newly fitted up the same with good beds for the reception of ladies and gentlemen. Every attention will be given to render the accommodations as comfortable as possible, whilst all favours will be gratefully acknowledged…
(Most pub, location & historic details collated by Nigel, Tony or Keith - original sources are credited)
(** historic newspaper information from Stuart Ansell)
(*** historic newspaper information from Bob Mitchell)