Botesdale is contiguous with the Rickinghalls (Inferior and Superior). This village once had a weekly market and an annual Charter Fair. The main thoroughfare was once part of the Bury to Scole Turnpike (from 1769) and a toll house can still be found at the junction with the B1113. The number of old inns and taverns attests to the fact that the combined villages were an important overnight stopping-off point on the turnpike.
All that now remains of the World War Two POW camp off Bury Road (Camp 56) is the water tower. A Roman pottery kiln was found near Bridewell Lane in 1946, though no trace of it now remains.
The Bell and the Garden House are sometimes reported to have been in Botesdale, but are actually located in Rickinghall. The close proximity of the three parishes, as well as the convoluted boundary lines, must have made for much confusion about what was where.
The war memorial is shared with Redgrave and the Rickinghalls. It stands in Botesdale market place.
There appears not to have been an entry for Botesdale in Domesday.
The 1855 White's Directory lists Charles Mayhew (Beerhouse keeper, pub not named) [Ivy House?]
The 1861 Census lists Charles Mayhew (Beerhouse Keeper, Back Hills, pub not named, Head/Married/49/born Wortham) [Ivy House?]
The 1861 Census lists Mary Ann Tindale (Innkeeper, Street, pub not named, Head/Widow/41/born Massingham, Northamptonshire).
The 1861 Census lists James Stebling (Innkeeper & Dealer, Street, pub not named, Head/Married/35/born Rickinghall).
The 1865 Kelly's Directory lists Charles Mayhew (Beer retailer, pub not named) [Ivy House?]
The 1869 Kelly's Directory lists Charles Mayhew (Bee…
Some historical information from English Heritage's National Monuments Record.