CAMRA West Suffolk & Borders branch.last updated 22/05/2019
Bury St Edmunds Castlehistorical era: ancient
opened 15th century
The Castle has been demolished.
Dates back to at least 1418 when it was referred to as the Castell in a document. Bought in 1553 by William Tassell (from Nicholas Platt) who in 1557 gave both the Castle and the adjacent Angel to the Guildhall Feoffees (a public body whose function was to administer local charities). Soon after the Feoffees joined the businesses under a single sign - the Angel.Old Inns of Suffolk, Leonard P Thompson
(Most pub, location & historic details collated by Nigel, Tony or Keith - original sources are credited)