grid reference TM 404 696Something we've got wrong about this establishment? Something more you think we should know about it? Please email us
CAMRA Ipswich & East Suffolk branch.last updated 03/03/2019
Darsham Stradbroke Arms
also traded as as: Stationhistorical closure era: late 20th century
opened 1860 circa
Historically listed as a hotel & posting house. Now a café.
May also be listed at Turnpike.
On June 1st 1859, the East Suffolk Railway Line was opened from Ipswich to Great Yarmouth - the pub probably dates from about that time.
It can be seen on this old OS map from about 1903 (larger map)
(Most pub, location & historic details collated by Nigel, Tony or Keith - original sources are credited)
(** historic newspaper information from Stuart Ansell)
Old OS map reproduced with the permission of the National Library of Scotland.
The Earl of Stradbroke title was created in 1821 for John Rous, 1st Baron Rous, who had represented Suffolk as an MP in the House of Commons. He was also made Viscount Dunwich and was lord of the manor in Darsham. The Rous family seat is Henham Park near Blythburgh and is home to the Latitude Festival.