app

Stowmarket Vulcan Arms

Stowmarket Vulcan Arms

closed 1913

opened about 1864

37 Bury St

grid reference TM 048 587

The Vulcan Arms was located close to James Woods' Suffolk Iron Works.

The pub is also listed at 41 Bury Street (with 7 boarders) in 1891. It was owned by Tollemache brewers after 1896.

The last tenant, John Potter, retired and continued living in premises until 1927.

The building was bought by W & C.Simpson in 1919.

For many years it was Simpsons toy shop, though that has now closed down.

Map

map

Gallery

expand

Historical interest

Historical interest

expand

Landlords

Landlords

Footnote

Vulcan is the Roman god of fire and metal working.

(Most pub, location & historic details collated by Nigel, Tony or Keith - original sources are credited)

(detailed information from Neil Langridge - and also Brian Southgate - see their book "Stowmarket, Combs and Stowupland Pubs" published by Polstead Press in 2009)

X