app

Walsham le Willows Chequers

Walsham le Willows Chequers

Closed pre-1840

opened approx. 1783

Badwell Rd

grid reference TL 999 705

The house was built in 1581 as a private property. According to the village website, it probably only operated as an inn for 20 or 30 years.

Map

map

Gallery

expand

Landlords

Landlords

Footnote

The chequerboard as a pub sign may have its origins from Roman taverns when a board game like draughts was often advertised and played. It may also be an ancient sign to indicate the landlord was a money-lender or could offer secure storage for a travellers valuables.

(Most pub, location & historic details collated by Nigel, Tony or Keith - original sources are credited)

(*** historic newspaper information from Bob Mitchell)

X