Although the government has now allowed pubs to reopen, many are still unable to do so safely, while most if not all are only able to accommodate limited numbers of customers. Many of them are still reliant on providing takeaway food and/or drinks. Some offer deliveries, while others are selling from the premises. This page lists details of those we know about.
If you can give any of our pubs some support through these difficult times by buying some takeaway food or drink, please do so. Our pubs need as much support as possible if they're going to still be there for us when the crisis is over.
Sudbury British Volunteer
Sudbury British Volunteer
also traded as Volunteer, Horseshoes
opened 1860s ?
5 Burkitt's Ln
grid reference TL 872 413 (approximate location)
This pub was open by 1871 and was open till at least 1960.
This item from the Suffolk Free Press:
August 16th 1905
8 deaths were reported in a week at Sudbury amongst them was Private Charles Ambrose who had enjoyed an army pension for 43 years, his death occurred in the Volunteer Inn where he had been lodging for a few years. He was a native of Gt Henny and joined the 73rd Foot in 1840 at Sudbury and saw service in that regiment in two Kaffir wars and in the Indian Mutiny, he took part in the American Blockade from 1845 to 1846, he was in South America, then on the 12th of August 1846 landed in the Cape of Good Hope in 1858, he went to India and returned to England in 1861, he had distinguished himself in the Kaffir wars 1850-51, he left the army in 1862 after 21 years 32 days service…
The 1861 census records Burkills Lane starting at no. 1, with no obvious pub at 4 or 5.
The 1871 census records the British Volunteer as first entry in Burketts Lane, before no. 5. [Presumed to be no. 4] [1-3 demolished??]
The 1881 census records the Horseshoes at 4 Burkitts Lane, with no obvious pub at 5.
A sale by auction held at the Four Swans Hotel, Sudbury, by the Executors of the Will of the late George Coates, saw the British Volunteer, beer house, in Birkett's Lane, let on a lease for a term of 14 years from 29th September 1877, at £22 per annum, sold to Mr Oliver for £320.Ipswich Journal, October 1885**
The 1891 census records the British Volunteer, and in 1901 the census records the Volunteer, both at 5 Burkitts Lane, no. 4 not recorded [Demolished or combined with no.5 ??].…
 News report reproduced with kind permission from Foxearth & District Local History Society.
(Most pub, location & historic details collated by Nigel, Tony or Keith - original sources are credited)
(** historic newspaper information from Stuart Ansell)