grid reference TM 197 596Something we've got wrong about this establishment? Something more you think we should know about it? Please email us
listed building grade II
CAMRA Ipswich & East Suffolk branch.
last updated 30/12/2019
also traded as as: Greyhoundhistorical closure era: 21st century
opened 16th century
The Street, IP14 6HG
Small homely pub with a good reputation for food. No children under 14 allowed in the pub, but they may use the garden.
The pub was renamed in 1986 by landlady Sue Frankland, who used to be a successful breeder of Dobermanns; ironically, dogs are not allowed in the pub. Sadly, Sue passed away in the latter part of 2016; the pub subsequently closed. Sue's family wanted to convert the pub to residential use and sell it off, but happily a planning inspector has ruled against this.
The pub was built about 1600, with 18th and 19th century alterations. It can be seen on this old OS map from about 1902 (larger map)
(Most pub, location & historic details collated by Nigel, Tony or Keith - original sources are credited)
(old PO directory information courtesy of londonpublichouse.com)
(1861 census information from Malcolm Fairley)
(*** historic newspaper information from Bob Mitchell)
(**** Last Orders is a free local newsletter -
published by Suffolk CAMRA memers since 1978)
Old OS map reproduced with the permission of the National Library of Scotland.