As pubs across the county are starting to reopen, we're trying to collate a comprehensive list of those that have reopened or are close to it. Our list can be found on this page.
Although the government has now allowed pubs to reopen, many are still unable to do so safely, while most if not all are only able to accommodate limited numbers of customers. Many of them are still reliant on providing takeaway food and/or drinks. Some offer deliveries, while others are selling from the premises. This page lists details of those we know about.
If you can give any of our pubs some support through these difficult times by buying some takeaway food or drink, please do so. Our pubs need as much support as possible if they're going to still be there for us when the crisis is over.
Otley White Hart
Otley White Hart
Drinks and foot available to take away.
Real Ale is sold here.
Helmingham Rd, IP6 9NS
grid reference TM 201 557
A large, modernised, open-plan bar with themed food nights, regular Thursday evening curry nights and occasional music etc.
The pub has a toilet for disabled customers.
The cellar is particularly fine. They have Nelson's Revenge and Grain Best Bitter alongside the ever popular Adnams Southwold and Earl Soham Victoria. Lynda Saint is in the kitchen so the food ain't bad either!!
- Accessible to disabled customers
- Beer garden or other outside drinking area
- Dogs welcome
- Evening meals
- Family friendly
- Live music: Saturday
- Lunchtime meals (not just snacks): Sunday Roast
- Smoking area
- Special events: Tue Ukulele Group; Wed Book Club and Bridge Club; Thu Poker night
- WiFi available: free.
Nearest railway station
The pub is shown on this old OS map from about 1902 (interactive map)
The building was probably built in the very first years of the 19th century. Steve Podd tells us that the land on which it stands is described on an 1805 map as 'newly enclosed' (i.e. the land was until then "waste", part of a wide routeway or linear green). No building is shown on the map, although in the same year the adjoining farm is called the WHITE HART FARM.
In 1836 when John Dalton Harmer was listed as owner : In the court rolls (T/Hel(S)/39/4) Timothy Steward and Staniforth Patteson were admitted in 1857, following JDH; this information is at variance with the Land tax records, which show S&P as owners from 1839. Similarly, the owner on the 1840 Tithe Map is David Harsant…
Pub was reopened in March 2006 by Lynda Saint and partners (after 18 months of closure and just before planning permission was granted to turn it into a private house). It then won various accolades and awards (including the Local Community Pub Award in Alastair Sawdays Guide to Pubs and Inns 2007)
(Most pub, location & historic details collated by Nigel, Tony or Keith - original sources are credited)
(some old PO directory information courtesy of londonpublichouse.com)