last owner/operator: Free House
56-58 Blyburgate, NR34 9TQ
grid reference TM 424 900
The present building is a 1930s rebuild of a much older Fleece. Though it was also used as a pub.
It's shown (though not named) on this old OS map from about 1903 (interactive map)
Pre-1930 historical information is assumed to refer to the earlier pub.
To be sold by auction Lot 2, that well accustomed freehold inn, called the Fleece, and the cottage thereto adjoining, in Blythburgate Street, in the occupation of Henry Alexander and Henry Sparham, possession will be given on the 11th October 1845.Ipswich Journal, March 1845**
The fleece is a common reference to the wool trade that was very important in Suffolk, particularly in 17th & 18th cent. until cheap imports from the colonies undermined the trade.
(Most pub, location & historic details collated by Nigel, Tony or Keith - original sources are credited)
(** information from Stuart Ansell)
Old OS map reproduced with the permission of the National Library of Scotland.