Holton Lord Nelson
Holton Lord Nelson
North West, 52.34309,1.52517
Converted to licensed B&B only and up for sale
opened 1786 or earlier
Mill Rd, IP19 8PP
grid reference TM 402 775
The pub is shown (though not named) on this old OS map from 1883. interactive map
Pub's website indicates that it is a former pub. Now seems to be a licensed B&B only, although it has been found for sale on the internet. When a pub, there was a large bar area with sofas and armchairs and a restaurant that was separate from the bar area. Giggler cider (locally produced) was available in bottles.
Reopened on Monday 29th July 2013, after 5 years of being closed, with a gigantic local turn out. The building was fully restored with a 55% increase in size.
After two years, they gave up on being a pub and the building is now just a "licensed B&B". However, at the beginning of December 2016 the local press reported that planning permission for conversion to purely a B&B had been refused. We await further developments with interest.
To be sold by auction, at the Lord Nelson Inn, Holton, all the household furniture and other effects, as expressed in catalogues, the property of Robert Parker, who is leaving the neighbourhood.Ipswich Journal, Dec 1835**
3 Public Houses to be Put Off Immediately:- The Corn Exchange Tavern, Cornhill, Ipswich; The Half-Moon, Walton & The Lord Nelson, HoltonIpswich Journal, 29 Sep 1860***
(No landlords noted)
To be sold by auction, Lot 4, the Lord Nelson, a freehold Inn, situated in Holton, near Halesworth, in the centre of the village, in the occupation of Mr Folkard Pendle; containing sitting bar, parlour, good cellar, 4 bedrooms, washhouse, brick and tiled stable, and a gig house and sheds…
Earliest known date from heritage.suffolk.gov.
(Most pub, location & historic details collated by Nigel, Tony or Keith - original sources are credited)
(old PO directory information courtesy of londonpublichouse.com)
(** historic newspaper information from Stuart Ansell)
(*** historic newspaper information from Bob Mitchell)
Old OS map reproduced with the permission of the National Library of Scotland.