Closed between 1840 and 1920
grid reference TM 421 907
The Wherry is listed on the west side of Northgate. According to A Smith's paper "Inns of Beccles in 1929" (supplied by Daryl Ling) it was next door to the Lord Nelson. On the basis of this description, this building seems to have been the Wherry, though there is a little doubt about this; it may actually have been at number 27.
Beccles: Julius TILLETT was fined 2s 6d & 7s 6d costs, for keeping his beer house open during prohibited hours.Ipswich Journal, 29 June 29th 1861**
1861 census order on the west side of Northgate: Marquis of Granby (Schedule 66); Wherry (79); Unnamed (Edward Buck - Waveney) (80); Unnamed (Isaac Piper - unknown) (91).
(Most pub, location & historic details collated by Nigel, Tony or Keith - original sources are credited)