Please note that due to the pandemic currently being allowed to run out of control, many pubs are having to close temporarily or restrict their trading hours due to staff sickness or self-isolation. Please check with the pubs if you plan to travel any distance.

Beccles Waveney Hotel

Beccles Waveney Hotel

also traded as Waveny Wine & Sprits Stores, Buck's Bar

South East, 52.46056,1.56314

Closed :unknown era

21 Northgate

grid reference TM 421 907

Aveley House is shown (though not named) as a pub on this OS town plan of 1884.

old OS map

According to information transcribed by the Foxearth & District Local History Society, it had long been known as the Waveney Wine & Spirits Stores in 1890, though it seems to have become the Waveney Hotel by 1896.

A Smith's paper "Pubs of Beccles in 1929" (supplied by Daryl Ling) tells us that "This was only a six days house. It was kept years ago by a man named Buck and known as Buck's Bar, it was closed in 1907".




(Most pub, location & historic details collated by Nigel, Tony or Keith - original sources are credited)