formerly Volunteer Arms
Currently closed - may reopen?
Haylings Rd, IP16 4DJ
grid reference TM 443 621
Reported in local media to be closed again and on the market.
The pub is shown on this old OS map from about the end of the 19th century. interactive map
May also be listed in Snape Rd.
Reopened December 2013 after some time closed.
Originally only licensed as a beerhouse, the Volunteer got its first full license on September 7th, 1899.
In 1882 Mary Baldry, who had been running the Volunteer for some years, set up her own beerhouse which became the Engineer's Arms.
Daft Monk Brewery brewed at the pub between 2010 and 2012. This was only a tiny operation and it's doubtful that beers got far from the pub itself.
(Most pub, location & historic details collated by Nigel, Tony or Keith - original sources are credited)
Old OS map reproduced with the permission of the National Library of Scotland.