Although the government has now allowed pubs to reopen, many are still unable to do so safely, while most if not all are only able to accommodate limited numbers of customers. Many of them are still reliant on providing takeaway food and/or drinks. Some offer deliveries, while others are selling from the premises. This page lists details of those we know about.
If you can give any of our pubs some support through these difficult times by buying some takeaway food or drink, please do so. Our pubs need as much support as possible if they're going to still be there for us when the crisis is over.
Long Melford Bull
Long Melford Bull
formerly Bull Tap, Black Bull
Real Ale is sold here.
Hall St, CO10 9JG
grid reference TL 864 458
Imposing 15th century 3* hotel with 25 rooms & used as an inn since at least 1580. The comfortable bar & lounge to rear of building (accessed from main entrance) overlook a coutyard & also welcomes non residents. It previously featured in TV's Lovejoy. The hotel was extensively & sympathetically refurbished in 2003. Food available
- Accessible to disabled customers
- Accommodation available
- Beer garden or other outside drinking area
- Beer served through handpumps
- Bus stop nearby (see transport links for details)
- Cask Marque accredited
- Dogs welcome
- Evening meals
- Family friendly
- Lunchtime meals (not just snacks)
- Quiet pub - no electronic games, piped music or jukebox
- Real fire
- Restaurant or separate dining area
- Separate bar
Railway station about 3.5 miles away (see transport links for details)
Nearest railway station
The inn is shown on this old OS map from about 1902 (interactive map)
In 1648 the innkeeper, Richard Everard was killed in a brawl in the entrance hall. His body was said to have vanished before the burial.
A reference appears in the Ipswich Journal, September 1st 1739 to the Bull at Melford
James Drew has taken over the Bull Inn, Long Melford from his father, William Drew, who has declined Business.Ipswich Journal, May 23rd 1767***
To be lett, the Bull, in Long Melford. Enquire of Mr. Thomas Richardson at Melford aforesaid or Mr. Drew jun…
Name may be a sympathetic reference to a Papal bull - a lead seal attached to official religious edicts or documents - or a reference to Henry VIII who introduced a bulls head into his coat-of-arms after he defied a papal bull in 1538. Bull baiting was also quite widespread until it was banned in 1835.
(Most pub, location & historic details collated by Nigel, Tony or Keith - original sources are credited)
(some old PO directory information courtesy of te londonpublichouse.com)
(*** historic newspaper information from Bob Mitchell)
Old pictures from http://www.foxearth.org.uk