In the light of the government announcement of March 20th, all pubs are now closed until further notice.
However, a number of pubs are providing takeaway food and/or drinks during the lockdown. Some offer deliveries, while others are selling from the premises. This page lists details of those we know about.
If you can give any of our pubs some support through these difficult times by buying some takeaway food or drink, please do so. Our pubs need as much support of possible if they're going to still be there for us when the crisis is over.
Needham Market Swan
Needham Market Swan
formerly King's Head
Real Ale is sold here.
9 High St, IP6 8AL
grid reference TM 089 547
owner/operator: Meet & Eat (Greene King)
The Swan retains many exposed beams with a pleasant airy atmosphere. In 1544 two earlier cottages were replaced by the present building, then known as Hatfield House. It opened as a pub in 1620.
A fire in 1781 destroyed a brew-house, stable, granary, old parlour and bed chambers. The pub was then closed for 10 years.
- Beer garden or other outside drinking area
- Bus stop nearby (see transport links for details)
- Dogs welcome
- Evening meals
- Family friendly
- Lunchtime meals (not just snacks)
- Real fire
- Restaurant or separate dining area
- Traditional pub games available
Railway station about 0.1 miles away (see transport links for details)
Nearest railway station
Built by John Hatfield in 1544, the (now) Swan was bought by Peter Levell in 1620 and named the King's Head. The name probably changed after the civil war. It was bought by Francis Theobald (Lord of the Manor) in 1653 and presented to the town to help fund the Grammar school.
To be sold, a Large brick house with convenient Sellars, Out-houses and Brewing Office with a Garden, Orchard and a large Barn. All in very good Repair, now in the occupation of Mr John Meadows over against the Swan in Needham Market.Ipswich Journal, July 17th & 24th 1725***
A Florist's Feast" at Elias Ward's, the Swan, Needham Market.Ipswich Journal, May 11th 1745***
A reference appears in the Ipswich Journal, May 10th 1746*** to Elias Ward at the Swan, Needham-market…
(Most pub, location & historic details collated by Nigel, Tony or Keith - original sources are credited)
(1891 census information from Dudley Diaper)
(information from book "Needham Market Pubs" by Desmond and Shelagh Herring)
(some old PO directory information courtesy of londonpublichouse.com)
(** historic newspaper information from Stuart Ansell)
(*** historic newspaper information from Bob Mitchell)