closed 19th February 2016
opened 18th century
The Street, IP13 6AX
grid reference TM 269 529
This was a popular two bar, Grade 2 listed pub, built early in the 19th century.
Reported to have closed mid-February 2016; when visited that May it was seen that all signage has been removed, so it would appear that it won't be reopening. In late 2016, planning permission to convert the pub into a furniture shop was applied for.
The pub can be seen on this old OS map from about 1903 (interactive map)
Lately was married, at Little Clacton, Essex, Nathaniel Welton, youngest son of Mr Welton, at the Castle Inn, Bredfield, to Miss E Gleed, eldest daughter of Mr Gleed, Dickleburgh Hall, Norfolk.Ipswich Journal, September 1820**
The 1904 Woodbridge licensing records show that the Castle's license was issued in 1853. Whether this was when it was first licensed or when it got a full (ie not just beer) license isn't clear, though the latter seems more probable.
A report in the Bury & Norwich Post in 1838 (December 28th) gives an account of the pub being sold to Mr Cana as part of the Samuel Alexander's Brewery sale, the Castle selling at £560.…
(Most pub, location & historic details collated by Nigel, Tony or Keith - original sources are credited)
(** historic newspaper information from Stuart Ansell)
Old OS map reproduced with the permission of the National Library of Scotland.