Sudbury Bay Horse
Sudbury Bay Horse
formerly Old Red Cow, Red Cow, Dun Cow, Casa André
Real Ale is sold here.
61-65 Melford Rd, CO10 1JS
grid reference TL 871 418
Single bar located on outskirts of town. Five letting rooms available. Pub owners are now free of tie (since May 2013) when they purchased from Enterprise Inns. Now trading as a free house. Eight real ales currently available.
- Accessible to disabled customers
- Accommodation available
- Beer festivals
- Beer garden or other outside drinking area
- Bus stop nearby (see transport links for details)
- Family friendly
- Live music
- Lunchtime meals (not just snacks)
- Sport TV
- Traditional pub games available
Railway station about 0.7 miles away (see transport links for details)
Nearest railway station
Also reported at 19 Melford Rdoad (1861) and 28, 29, 30 Melford Rd. (c1874 to at least c1922).
It was known as the Red Cow Beerhouse between at least 1861 to 1937.
In 1937 the pub was listed in Kelly's Directory as one of 220 pubs that were retailing beer that they were brewing.
Beer house turn to full licences. “One of” nine beer houses in West Suffolk to turn to full licenses. “Anything less than a full license is san anachronism these days, “ said Mr T A Symes (solicitor) to West Suffolk County licensing committee in Bury St Edmunds. Sir Henry Corry was elected as chairman. EADT 28 April 1959.
In the June/July 1982 edition of Last Orders*** it was reported that the former Red Cow (now called the Casa Andre) had been sold by Charringtons (Ind Coope).…
(Most pub, location & historic details collated by Nigel, Tony or Keith - original sources are credited)
(*** Last Orders is a free local newsletter - published by Suffolk CAMRA memers since 1978)