Although the government has now allowed pubs to reopen, many are still unable to do so safely, while most if not all are only able to accommodate limited numbers of customers. Many of them are still reliant on providing takeaway food and/or drinks. Some offer deliveries, while others are selling from the premises. This page lists details of those we know about.
If you can give any of our pubs some support through these difficult times by buying some takeaway food or drink, please do so. Our pubs need as much support as possible if they're going to still be there for us when the crisis is over.
Sudbury Brewery Tap
Sudbury Brewery Tap
formerly Black Horse
Real Ale is sold here.
21 to 23 East St, CO10 2TP
grid reference TL 875 415
A mecca for real ale drinkers the Mauldon's brewery tap is a traditional comfortable friendly pub of the old style. Soup, rolls, filled baps, occasional chillies, stews and local made pies are available and takeaways can be ordered in. Events include a Sunday breakfast club, quiz nights, live music and beer festivals in April and October. The pub is home to golf, darts, crib and bar billiards clubs. A must for beer and pub lovers.
- Accessible to disabled customers
- Beer garden or other outside drinking area: Courtyard
- Beer served direct from the barrel by gravity
- Beer served through handpumps
- Bus stop nearby (see transport links for details)
- Cider (real draught, not keg) available
- Dogs welcome
- Lunchtime meals (not just snacks)
- Oversized, lined glasses in regular use
- Pub sells beer from local brewers
- Quiet pub - no electronic games, piped music or jukebox
- Traditional pub games available: Bar billiards
Railway station about 0.4 miles away (see transport links for details)
Nearest railway station
The pub is shown on this old OS map from about 1902 (interactive map)
The Fox & Goose was probably an earlier name for this pub.
In 1900 the pub was also listed as supplying horses & traps, waggonette or brakes to let on moderate terms.
The February/March 1981 edition of Last Orders*** reports that the Black Horse is owned by Ind Coope.
(Most pub, location & historic details collated by Nigel, Tony or Keith - original sources are credited)
(some old PO directory information courtesy of londonpublichouse.com)
(*** Last Orders is a free local newsletter - published by Suffolk CAMRA memers since 1978)