formerly Bush Inn, May Bush, Cliff Inn
Takeaways will be available from April 1st.
Real Ale is sold here.
Cliff Road, IP12 4QL
grid reference TM 285 445
riverside bar / diner, opened about 1745
A popular riverside restaurant and pub, operated by Deben Inns. It has a large garden and a car park. There are good views of the River Deben from the terrace.
Nearest railway station
The pub is shown on this old OS map from about 1902 (interactive map)
According to A Survey of Suffolk Parish History, the pub is believed to have been licensed since about 1745, when it was known as the Cliff Inn.
The 1904 Woodbridge licensing records show that the Maybush's license was issued in 1803.
Daniel Button, landlord of the Bush Inn, at Waldringfield, was found guilty of having kept his house open and allowing persons to assemble and drink therein during the usual hours of Divine Service on Sunday 12th July 1835. He was fined £3 13s 6d and costs, and allowed time to pay.Ipswich Journal, August 1835**
It appears on the 1838 OS map as the Bush Inn.…
(Most pub, location & historic details collated by Nigel, Tony or Keith - original sources are credited)
(some old PO directory information courtesy of he londonpublichouse.com)
(** historic newspaper information from Stuart Ansell)
(*** historic newspaper information from Bob Mitchell)