St James South Elmham
One of a group of settlements to the south of Bungay known collectively as "the Saints", which were recorded in Domesday variously as "Almeham", "Almaham", "Elmeham" and "Halmeham. Mill Lane marks the location of a post mill which was moved here in 1864. It was mostly demolished in 1923, but the remains can still be seen.
At 51m above sea level, St James is reportedly the highest village in the east of the county.
In 1865 John Godfrey is listed as a beer retailer & shopkeeper
Some historical information from English Heritage's National Monuments Record.