An offshoot of Stowmarket, this mainly modern but pleasant settlement is a winner of the Suffolk Village of the award.
A tower mill stood on Thorney Green until it was demolished about 1921.
A significant part of central and eastern Stowmarket was historically in Stowupland until a boundary change in 1934. This means that a number of Stowmarket pubs (close to Railway station) have been listed in the past as being in this parish. These include the Hop Pole, Railway Tavern, Kings Arms, Duke of Wellington and Pickerell. A map showing the boundary change can be found at A Vision of Britain (click on the "Historic boundaries" link to generate it
A report in the Ipswich Journal** on 05 Sep in 1857 states that :
Freehold Dwelling Houses, Beer Shop & Cottages at Thorney Green, Stowupland for sale by direction of the Trustees of the late John WELLS, Deceased. …
Some historical information from English Heritage's National Monuments Record.
(** historic newspaper information from Bob Mitchell)