Small hamlet that today is dominated by its close proximity to RAF Mildenhall.
An Anglo-Saxon cemetery was found here in 1851. Excavations between then and 1994 uncovered over 100 burials.
Also see Beck Row, Burnt Fen, Kenny Hill, West Row and Mildenhall. We have so far been unable to find a map showing the boundary of Holywell Row, so only the Mildenhall parish boundary appears on our map.
The 1844 White's Directory lists John Lofts as a beer house keeper. The hamlet then had a population of 441.
The 1855 White's Directory lists John Turner as a beer house keeper.
The 1865 Kelly's Directory also lists William Haylock (& carpenter) Greyhound? and Elijah Lofts (poulterer) as beer retailers.
The 1869 Kelly's Directory also lists William Haylock (& carpenter) Greyhound? and John Ingbedew? as beer retailers.
The 1891-92 White's Directory also lists Robert Cole as a beer house keeper.
Some historical information from English Heritage's National Monuments Record.