formerly Station, Railway Hotel
North West, 52.08058,1.1654
Real Ale is sold here.
Main Rd, IP6 9AA
grid reference TM 169 471
bar / diner, opened 1881 circa
A popular split level pub and restaurant, with a real log fire (built by the landlord) that burns on most evenings in the colder months. Real ales are served directly from the cask.
The pub has offered B&B since 2017.
The Bus stop is located just after the nearby crossroads (about 2 minute walk from the pub).
The pub is not shown on the 1880 OS map. It was probably built in 1881 by S&P (a Norwich brewery).
A beer house called the Station may have existed on the same site (or nearby) for a few years before the erection of the current building. However we currently know little about this pub apart from a listing in a trade directory.
- Accessible to disabled customers
- Accommodation available
- Beer garden or other outside drinking area
- Beer served through handpumps
- Bus stop nearby (see transport links for details)
- Dogs welcome: bar only
- Evening meals
- Family friendly
- Lunchtime meals (not just snacks)
- Real fire
- Smoking area
Railway station about 0.0 miles away (see transport links for details)
Nearest railway station
The pub is shown on this old OS map from about 1903 (interactive map)
1880 map with the pub missing:
Originally called the Railway Hotel, the "Hotel" part of the name dropped in January 1970.
Mr H W Poyser, barrister, appeared to apply on behalf of Messrs. Steward Patteson and Co., Norwich, for a license for a new hotel it was proposed to erect near the Westerfield Station. There was positively no accommodation for visitors near the station, the nearest house being a quarter of a mile off, and that was only a small public house called the Swan. There was nothing against the Swan, but it was not conveniently placed, nor did it afford the accommodation actually required. It was not just increased facilities for obtaining refreshments that were required, but increased stable accommodation…
(Most pub, location & historic details collated by Nigel, Tony or Keith - original sources are credited)
(** historic newspaper information from Stuart Ansell)