grid reference TM 392 692Something we've got wrong about this establishment? Something more you think we should know about it? Please email us
listed building grade II
CAMRA Ipswich & East Suffolk branch.
last updated 25/01/2020
Yoxford Maid's Headhistorical closure era: ancient
The building dates from the 16th century. Having studied licensing records from 1874 through to 1967 and found no sign of it, we conclude this pub must have closed before 1874.
The 1910 Rate book lists this building as the Maid's Head, but makes no mention of it being licensed. It's shown as being owned by William Short of Southwold, with Sam Spone in residence.
Charles Wade (of Snowshill Manor fame), lived at the Maid's Head for a while in the late 50's and early 60's (after he had given Snowshill Manor to the National Trust. Other members of his family lived in Elmsley (the big house at the junction of High Street and Strickland Manor Hill).information from Su Fox
(Most pub, location & historic details collated by Nigel, Tony or Keith - original sources are credited)