Closed between 1925 and the early 1930s.
24 Cross St
grid reference TM 336 897
The 1909 town Rates book (which lists the Crown at 24 Cross St) describes it as "Late Crown Inn". Since this book was in use until the early 1930s and the last directory entry found was from 1925, we can infer that it probably closed between those dates.
The pub is also variously listed at Market Place, Engine House Street (in 1855) an Cross Street (in 1904).
The Crown is shown (though unnamed) on this old OS map from about 1903 (interactive map)
To be lett, that ancient and commodious Inn, called the Crown in Bungay, which is well situated for business, and was lately in the occupation of Mr. Leman Jeffries....Enquire of Mr. Wm. Crowfoot, Brewer at Beccles.Ipswich Journal, 22 Feb 1777***
Bungay Crown to be lett. The house is exceeding well situated for business and has lately been considerably improved. A musical Performer will probably reap a peculiar advantage in taking it, there being a handsome organ on the premises. The rent is £15 a year. Further particulars may be had of Mr. John Fuller at the said house or of Mr…
(Most pub, location & historic details collated by Nigel, Tony or Keith - original sources are credited)
(some old PO directory information courtesy of londonpublichouse.com)
(** historic newspaper information from Stuart Ansell)
(*** historic newspaper information from Bob Mitchell)
Old OS map reproduced with the permission of the National Library of Scotland.