grid reference TL 849 641Something we've got wrong about this establishment? Something more you think we should know about it? Please email us
CAMRA West Suffolk & Borders branch.last updated 30/12/2019
Bury St Edmunds Cricketers Inn
also traded as as: Green Dragon, Cricketer's Armshistorical closure era: late 20th century
142 King's Rd
The pub was demolished in the 1970s.
The Cricketers stood on the north side of what's now King's Road, roughly where the roundabout junction with Parkway is now, as shown on this OS town plan of 1885.
Field Lane became Cemetery Road after 1851 and then King's Road. in the 20th century.
The pub's listed at 20 Field Lane by 1851, 50 Cemetery Road by 1874, 142 Cemetery Road by 1901 and finally at 142 King's Road (there was a good deal of street renaming and renumbering).
(Most pub, location & historic details collated by Nigel, Tony or Keith - original sources are credited)
(1861 census information from Malcolm Fairley)
(some old PO directory information courtesy of londonpublichouse.com)
(** historic newspaper information from Stuart Ansell)