pulling together logo

Although the government has now allowed pubs to reopen, many are still unable to do so safely, while most if not all are only able to accommodate limited numbers of customers. Many of them are still reliant on providing takeaway food and/or drinks. Some offer deliveries, while others are selling from the premises. This page lists details of those we know about.

If you can give any of our pubs some support through these difficult times by buying some takeaway food or drink, please do so. Our pubs need as much support as possible if they're going to still be there for us when the crisis is over.

Cotton Cock

Cotton Cock

also traded as Cock & Bottle

closed 13th August 1962

last owner/operator: Lacon's

Cock Rd

grid reference TM 067 670

A former Lacons pub which was rebuilt in about 1910.

The chap in the old photo is a Mr. Vincent who once kept the inn.

The Stow licensing book held at the Ipswich Record Office has a letter from Lacon's to the effect that they were de-licensing the pub in August 1962 and selling the building to the tenant, Mr WA Vincent (presumably the Mr Vincent in the old photo)?

Records in 1844 list the Cock as the Cock & Bottle.

The original Cock building is shown on this old OS map from about the end of the 19th century. interactive map

old OS map





Historical interest

Historical interest





Cock fighting (usually in a pit) was probably a regular feature near here (typically organised on Shrove Tuesday and other holidays), and hence the name was widespread until the activity was banned in 1795.

(Most pub, location & historic details collated by Nigel, Tony or Keith - original sources are credited)

(** historic newspaper information from Bob Mitchell)

Old OS map reproduced with the permission of the National Library of Scotland.