grid reference TM 348 853Something we've got wrong about this establishment? Something more you think we should know about it? Please email us
CAMRA North-East Suffolk branch.last updated 30/12/2019
Ilketshall St Margaret Greyhoundhistorical closure era: mid 20th century
closed between 1951 and 1957?
Low St, St Margaret's
The former Greyhound is now residential and called the Forge - a reminder that some of the previous landlords had two jobs - innkeeper & blacksmith. The forge itself was behind the pub, as can be seen on this 1884 OS map.
The pub is shown on OS maps at least as late as 1951, but appears to be gone by the 1957 (and subsequent) sheets, so presumably closed between these dates.
It can be seen on this old OS map from about the end of the 19th century. larger map
(Most pub, location & historic details collated by Nigel, Tony or Keith - original sources are credited)
(census data from Ken Herlingshaw)
(** historic newspaper information from Stuart Ansell)
(*** historic newspaper information from Bob Mitchell)
Old OS map reproduced with the permission of the National Library of Scotland.