grid reference TM 087 551Something we've got wrong about this establishment? Something more you think we should know about it? Please email us
CAMRA Ipswich & East Suffolk branch.last updated 21/01/2020
Needham Market George
also traded as as: Saint George, George & Dragonhistorical closure era: Victorian / Edwardian
119-121 High St
A three bay house with a large chimney to the southern apex. Owned by Messrs Ridley from 1848. A fair took place near inn on 28th & 29th October each year from 1839 and "the suspicion of strangers was lifted" leading to the pub filling with gypsies and horse dealers. Performing bears and boxing booths appeared along with various amusements including galloping horses and a big organ in George yard. The fair was abolished in 1871 by Lord Ashburnham. The pub is now used as a shop."Needham Market Pubs" by Desmond and Shelagh Herring
The pub was probably built by John Tarver in 1550. Soon after both John and wife Joan were in the Manor court for "not observing good rules in their house". In 1558 "disturbing the peace" was the charge and in 1567 "allowing lawbreakers to play and drink at improper times" was the charge.
In 1830 a Coach to Cambridge (via Stowmarket & Woolpit) called every forenoon at 11am. A coach to Ipswich called every afternoon at half past four.
(Most pub, location & historic details collated by Nigel, Tony or Keith - original sources are credited)
(information from book "Needham Market Pubs" by Desmond and Shelagh Herring)
(** historic newspaper information from Bob Mitchell)