app

Otley White Horse

Otley White Horse

Closed about 1878

opened about 1726

Chapel Rd

grid reference TM 208 558

We are most grateful to Steve Podd who has sent us the following information:

As a pub it belonged to the Tollemache brewery; the land was in the ownership of the Tollemache family by 1724. The first confirmed mention of it as a pub is in the Ipswich Journal of 1st and 8th October 1726. (Thanks to Suffolk CAMRA for this reference). It was said to have closed c.1890, but it appears that the closure may have been earlier - it is not shown as a pub on the first edition OS map of 1887, and is not mentioned as a pub in the 1875 or 1879 directories, or in the 1881 census. (It was still a pub in the 1871 census). It was converted into a pair of cottages before the end of the 19th century, and the Tollemaches sold it in the early years of the 20th…

Map

map

Gallery

expand

Historical interest

Historical interest

expand

Landlords

Landlords

(Most pub, location & historic details collated by Nigel, Tony or Keith - original sources are credited)

(some old PO directory information courtesy of londonpublichouse.com)

(** historic newspaper information from Stuart Ansell)

(*** historic newspaper information from Bob Mitchell)


© 2007-2020, the Campaign for Real Ale in Suffolk. Developed by Tony Green.


This site uses cookies to a very limited extent. For details of why, and to see our privacy policy, please visit this page.