closed 31st December 1910
31 High St
grid reference TM 465 791
The Swan was built late in the 18th century. It closed on December 31st 1910 as part of a scheme to reduce the number of alcohol licenses. The building is now residential and called Swan House. It's positively identified in the Listed Buildings Register.
By the instructions from the Executors of the late Mr Samuel Gayfer, deceased, to be sold by auction, the Southwold Brewery, in seven lots, which includes three public houses. Lot 3. The Swan at Wangford, situated in the centre of the village, and now occupied by Mr W Newberry, consisting of mixing bar, tap room, bar parlour, large parlour, travelling room,5 large sleeping rooms, cellar, washhouse, etc.; yard with entrance from street, a pump of excellent spring water, stable for 8 horses, gig house with loft over, coalhouse, and other outbuildings, etc. Behind the building is a capital fenced in garden.Ipswich Journal, May 1855**
Charles Day, of Wangford, labourer, found guilty of assaulting Henry TANN, Innkeeper, Wanford (Nr Southwold) Fined 3s 6d and costs 16s 6d, which he paid…
(Most pub, location & historic details collated by Nigel, Tony or Keith - original sources are credited)
(some old PO directory information courtesy of londonpublichouse.com)
Closure date from Blything licensing records.
(** historic newspaper information from Stuart Ansell)
(*** historic newspaper information from Bob Mitchell)