Currently closed but expected to reopen.
Closed temporarily by Adnams citing rising operating costs. Due to reopen 05/12/23.
London Rd (A12), NR34 8AZ
grid reference TM 473 799
opened 18th century
The pub is shown on this old OS map from about 1903 (interactive map)
A popular roadside inn with a restaurant and plenty of seating for drinkers. Both child and dog-friendly and features 5 cabin style rooms and a 5 pitch caravan site.
The building dates from the late 17th or early 18th century.
- Accessible to disabled customers
- Accommodation available
- Beer garden or other outside drinking area
- Dogs welcome
- Evening meals
- Family friendly
- Lunchtime meals (not just snacks)
- Pub sells beer from local brewers
- Quiet pub - no electronic games, piped music or jukebox
- Restaurant or separate dining area
- Separate bar
Nearest railway station
At the Halesworth Petty Sessions held in November 1875, a certificate was granted to Robert Smith for the Plough beer house at Wangford. Ipswich Journal, Nov 1875**
The pub is listed at Barnaby Green in 1881.
Originally only licensed as a beerhouse, the Plough got its full license (transferred from the closing Barking Dickey) on February 4th 1957.
(Most pub, location & historic details collated by Nigel, Tony or Keith - original sources are credited)
(** historic newspaper information from Stuart Ansell)
Old OS map reproduced with the permission of the National Library of Scotland.