app

Wangford Sawyers Arms (Barking Dicky)

Wangford Sawyers Arms (Barking Dicky)

closed 4th February 1957

opened pre-1844

Norfolk Rd

grid reference TM 468 793

The Sawyers Arms was known locally as the Barking Dicky, because of a landlord who kept a donkey, which brayed continuously. (Dicky is a Suffolk dialect word for a Donkey). It closed in 1957, when the license was transferred to the Plough.

The building has a chequered history; at one time, so a neighbour tells us, it was even a chapel (presumably not at the same time it was a pub).

Map

map

Gallery

expand

Landlords

Landlords

(Most pub, location & historic details collated by Nigel, Tony or Keith - original sources are credited)

X