Although the government has now allowed pubs to reopen, many are still unable to do so safely, while most if not all are only able to accommodate limited numbers of customers. Many of them are still reliant on providing takeaway food and/or drinks. Some offer deliveries, while others are selling from the premises. This page lists details of those we know about.
If you can give any of our pubs some support through these difficult times by buying some takeaway food or drink, please do so. Our pubs need as much support as possible if they're going to still be there for us when the crisis is over.
formerly Barne Arms Hotel
Real Ale is sold here.
St James St, IP17 3DT
grid reference TM 478 705
Once a haunt of smugglers, the Ship at Dunwich isn't just a great place to eat, drink, relax & get away from it all; it's also part of a great local story. There are comfortable, traditionally furnished rooms, some with views across the sea or marshes. 16 letting rooms and a tiled bar with simple wooden furniture and wood-burner. The menu is extensive. The pub has an enormous garden, dotted with fruit trees (including a 300 year old fig tree) and the beach really is just a couple of minutes walk away. There's music each month (on last Thursday). Beers are from local brewers. Beer Festivals are held in March & September.
- Accommodation available: 16 rooms
- Beer festivals
- Beer garden or other outside drinking area
- Beer served through handpumps
- Dogs welcome
- Evening meals
- Family friendly: no children in bar area, but lots of other rooms can be used
- Lunchtime meals (not just snacks)
- Newspapers available
- Real fire
- Restaurant or separate dining area
- Separate bar
- WiFi available
Nearest railway station
The pub is shown (as the Barne Arms) on this old map from about 1903 (interactive map)
Built in the 18th century.
In 1912 was listed as a family & commercial hotel & posting house with a garage and motor cars for hire.
The pub was originally called the Ship. The name was changed to the Barne Arms some time before its first mention in the licensing records (1874). It reverted to the original name in January 1967.
The licensed victuallers Tea Association advertised the sale of tea via its Suffolk Agents…
The Barne family once lived at Shrubbery Hall and owned much land locally. They also once levied tax on coals landed on 6 miles of beach (3d per chaldron) and claimed small sums (fines and fees) for ship wrecks.
(Most pub, location & historic details collated by Nigel, Tony or Keith - original sources are credited)
(** historic book information from Bob Mitchell)