Something we've got wrong about this establishment? Something more you think we should know about it? Please email us

CAMRA West Suffolk & Borders branch.

last updated 30/12/2019

Monks Eleigh King's Head

historical closure era: date unknown

High St

Overview | Historical info | Public transport | Map

To be sold by auction, under the directions of the proprietor, that old established beer house, known as the King's Head, in the parish of Monks Eleigh, doing a good trade, with premises attached, where for many years a wheelwright's business has been carried on. The property possesses a frontage to the street of about 80ft, and consists of a house, containing 2 sitting rooms, tap room, parlour, and 4 bed rooms; a large range of buildings consists of a wheelwright's shop and saw shed, brewhouse, stores, stable, piggeries etc., with capital yard and garden, and a good well of water, the whole presenting a capital opportunity for carrying on the above business to anyone wishing to embark on the same.Ipswich Journal, July 1865**
Samuel GOODCHILD of Monks Eleigh, was charged with keeping his beer house open during prohibited hours - Case dismissed.Ipswich Journal, October 25th 1889***

The 1891 & 1901 censuses locate the pub on the north side of High Street, to the west of Church Street. (The 1901 census lists the King's Head at schedule number 5 and the Swan at number 25.)

(Most pub, location & historic details collated by Nigel, Tony or Keith - original sources are credited)

(** historic newspaper information from Stuart Ansell)

(*** historic newspaper information from Bob Mitchell)