Closed between 1970 and 2000
77 Melford Rd
grid reference TL 871 418
The Plough dates back to at least 1780, when the Ipswich Journal reported:
January 8th 1780
On Monday evening the members of the anti American club met at the Plough Inn at Sudbury and unanimously condemned to the flames the London Evening Post, printed by J.Miller and known here by the appellation of the lying paper on account of the inflammatory pieces constantly inserted therein.
The pub is reported variously at 32, 33 and 34 Melford Road.
In 1830 it's listed in Mill Hill (though this may be an earlier tavern of the same name?)
Auction of that old-accustomed Inn or Public House, called the Plough - situated near the Water-mill, in the parish of St Gregory, in the borough of Sudbury, now in the occupation of Mr Joseph JONES (owner) who is changing his situation. The premises are freehold, in excellent repair - and comprise - dry cellars that will contain upwards of 500 hogsheads of beer, upon the ground floor an excellent spacious tap-room. 3 parlours, a bar with scullery & closets; on the 2nd floor is a Club Room, capable of dining 60 persons, also 5 bed chambers with closets…
(Most pub, location & historic details collated by Nigel, Tony or Keith - original sources are credited)
(** historic newspaper information from Stuart Ansell)
(*** historic newspaper information from Bob Mitchell)
(**** Last Orders is a free local newsletter - published by Suffolk CAMRA memers since 1978)