app

Otley Ginger Beer Shop

Otley Ginger Beer Shop

Closed 1840-1920

Chapel Rd

grid reference TM 206 557

This is now called Kersey Cottage.

Tithe Map 1840: 372 cottage, owned by Mary Ann Goodwin; tenant William Bennett, whose main profession was shoemaker.

Steven Podd reports that in the 1841 census the premises are described as a ‘ginger beer shop’. (but from the transcriptions seen, the word ‘ginger’ must be obscure in the original document, and may have transcribed as ‘Stings’

Bennett seems to have moved to the White Horse around 1844-6 (hence innkeeper trade in 1851).

Map

map

Gallery

expand

Landlords

Landlords

(Most pub, location & historic details collated by Nigel, Tony or Keith - original sources are credited)

X