North East, 52.06714,1.13745
closed April 2012
293 Norwich Rd, IP1 4BP
grid reference TM 151 456
The pub is shown on this OS town plan from about 1880 (larger map).
The Emperor has been converted into yet another unwanted Tesco shop.
We are taking on derelict or vandalised pubs, not those which are still actively trading, and for all sorts of reasons those pubs were not successful. We go into communities and ask people what they want and how we can deliver that. Tesco statement to the GuardianThey never explained how this applies in the case of the Emperor.
Punch Taverns decided to close the pub even earlier than intended, in April 2013. A nice slap in the face for the publican and customers.
It had a real wood fire, three large leather sofas and was non-smoking since mid-2006. Real Ale was sometimes served on gravity. A mild was always available (usually Ansells). Pub food was available, including some vegetarian options.
The Emperor was built as a multi-roomed pub but later had a split level main bar with various drinking areas.
It had an outside covered area for smokers, with steel Quoit beds and teams in back garden. There was a pool table, dart board and shove ha'penny in bar. Plus a beer garden and seated patio area.
Traditional multi-roomed pub. Children welcome in the family room. A welcome conversion for this long term keg only pub.
Beers: Ind Coope Friary Meux BB; Tetley Bitter.CAMRA's 1997 Suffolk Real Ale Guide
Robert Mayhew landlord of the Maypole in Norwich Road was sued for '32 12s 6d for the damage caused when his unattended pony and trap ran into Arthur Davey's cab. Harry Whitehead landlord of the Emperor testified that Mayhew only spent 3 minutes in his pub, during which time the accident happened. Davey won the case.Ipswich Journal, January 25th 1896** (when Harry Whitehead was the landlord)
A potted history of the pub was published by the "Save the Emperor" action group in 2012 and includes the following:
In 1823 the (former) Rose and Crown was located in St Matthew's Street. It was not until the late 1820's it became part of Norwich road, signalling the start of the development which led to the current Norwich Road layout. …
(Most pub, location & historic details collated by Nigel, Tony or Keith - original sources are credited)
(** historic newspaper information from Stuart Ansell)
Old OS map reproduced with the permission of the National Library of Scotland.