grid reference TM 189 422
owner Patron Capital
(details under review)
Data from the Food Standards Agency live feed.
Something we've got wrong about this establishment? Something more you think we should know about it? Please email us
- mon-thurs 12 - 11pm
- fri-sat 12 - 12
- sun 12 - 10.30
Log into the Cloud.
listed building grade II
Local licensing authority for Ipswich is Ipswich Borough Council
CAMRA Ipswich & East Suffolk branch.
last updated 21/01/2020
Ipswich Golden Hind
Real Ale is available here
470 Nacton Rd, IP3 9NF
A Grade 2 listed "Tolly Folly" building with part of the building now used as a sports bar. There's a function room upstairs and a large garden to the rear.
Visit the garden for the best view of the building's wonderful architecture; it's a classic Tolly Folly.
Intriguingly, a recent (2016) landlord grew up next door to the Golden Hind in Cambridge - the only Tolly Folly outside Suffolk.
Beer served through handpulls
Separate public bar
Function room available to hire
Traditional pub games available
Pub is accessible to disabled customers
Bus stop nearby (see public transport tab for details)
Railway station about 1.2 mile away (see public transport tab for details)
Beer garden or other outside drinking area
(Most pub, location & historic details collated by Nigel, Tony or Keith - original sources are credited)
Once known as a "Tolly Folly". In the 1930s the Tollemache brewery underwent a large expansion, first taking over the Cambridge Star Brewery and then building a number of vast mock-baronial estate pubs, mostly in Ipswich. The ornate style, and the scale of the expansion, led to these new buildings being known as the Tolly Follies. They were losely based on the design of the Tollemache stately home, Helmingham Hall.
Helmingham Hall is a moated manor house in Helmingham. It was begun by John Tollemache in 1480 and has been owned by the Tollemache family ever since. The house is built around a courtyard in typical late medieval/Tudor style. It is not open to the public.
The Golden Hind was Sir Francis Drake's ship in which he sailed round the world between 1577-80. Upon his return he was knighted by Elizabeth I. The ship was originally called the Pelican.