also traded as Crown Hotel
North East, 52.044665,1.189528
Closed between 1970 and 2000
346 Felixstowe Rd, IP3 9AA
grid reference TM 188 432
Built as one of the "Tolly follies" and opened in 1928. These large new pubs were built by Tollemache brewery as the town rapidly expanded and were styled on features similar to Helmingham hall. The Tollemache family still live at the hall. The brewery was subsequently merged with Cobbold in 1958-59.
After a period of closure, the Haven reopened for a short time as the Crown Hotel, a bar/restaurant/hotel serving four real ales in late May 2009.
It finally closed in late October 2011; with planning permission for residential conversion (granted in 2016) for the building to be converted into housing, which was completed in 2018.
In the April/May 1982 edition of Last Orders*** it was reported that the Haven had been taken over by Charrington and was offering IPA & Crown bitter on handpump.
Once known as a "Tolly Folly". In the 1930s the Tollemache brewery underwent a large expansion, first taking over the Cambridge Star Brewery and then building a number of vast mock-baronial estate pubs, mostly in Ipswich. The ornate style, and the scale of the expansion, led to these new buildings being known as the Tolly Follies. They were losely based on the design of the Tollemache stately home, Helmingham Hall.
Helmingham Hall is a moated manor house in Helmingham. It was begun by John Tollemache in 1480 and has been owned by the Tollemache family ever since. The house is built around a courtyard in typical late medieval/Tudor style. It is not open to the public.
(Most pub, location & historic details collated by Nigel, Tony or Keith - original sources are credited)
(*** Last Orders is a free local newsletter - published by Suffolk CAMRA memers since 1978)