app

Please note that due to the pandemic currently being allowed to run out of control, many pubs are having to close temporarily or restrict their trading hours due to staff sickness or self-isolation. Please check with the pubs if you plan to travel any distance.

Needham Market Bull

Needham Market Bull

also traded as White Horse, Compasses

West, 52.15491,1.05093

closed 1985

opened 1607

86 High St

grid reference TM 088 551

The Bull is shown (though not named) on this old OS map from about the end of the 19th century. interactive map

old OS map

A high quality timber-framed house that is located close to the market square. It has been empty since closure.

(information from book "Needham Market Pubs" by Desmond and Shelagh Herring)

The Bull was built late 15th or early 16th century as a Guildhall.

It was known as the White Horse from 1607-1770, and the Compasses from 1770-83. It became the Bull after 1784, when an inn of same name located opposite (now called the Limes) was closed and the sign was transferred.

Map

map

Gallery

expand

Historical interest

Historical interest

expand

Landlords

Landlords

(Most pub, location & historic details collated by Nigel, Tony or Keith - original sources are credited)

(1891 census information from Dudley Diaper)

(information from book "Needham Market Pubs" by Desmond and Shelagh Herring)

(** historic newspaper information from Stuart Ansell)

Old OS map reproduced with the permission of the National Library of Scotland.


© 2007-2022, the Campaign for Real Ale in Suffolk. Developed by Tony Green.


This site uses cookies to a very limited extent. For details of why, and to see our privacy policy, please visit this page.