formerly Royal Oak, Oak
Real Ale is sold here.
7-8 King St, CO10 2EB
grid reference TL 875 413
owner/operator: Heineken UK
Lively bar with regular live music. Now also serving food in the evenings
it was called the Royal Oak until late 2015/early 2016.
The building is thought to date from the 17th century, but has been much altered.
Nearest railway station
The pub is shown on this OS town plan from 1881 (larger map).
Also listed in Borehamgate Street (1839 - 1865).
Mr Joseph Gooch was granted an extension in time of one hour on the occasion of a club dinner for the Order of Shepherds. Ipswich Journal, Oct 1875**
In the February/March 1981 edition of Last Orders*** it was reported that the Royal Oak was then owned by Ind Coope.
(Most pub, location & historic details collated by Nigel, Tony or Keith - original sources are credited)
(some old PO directory information courtesy of londonpublichouse.com)
(** historic newspaper information from Stuart Ansell)
(*** Last Orders is a free local newsletter - published by Suffolk CAMRA memers since 1978)